fb pixel

C3 Resource Library

Guidance for Support

In times of crisis and challenge it can be difficult to know how to best support those around you. Below are some resources to guide you in different circumstances. We hope you find this helpful and informative. Please feel free to share this information.

Mental Health Options

If someone is in crisis they should immediately contact:

  • GP (during hours)
  • Alternatively call 111 and press option 2 (First Response Service for mental health crisis)


If you are in immediate danger of causing yourself harm:

  • 999 immediately and ask for an ambulance.


Other organisation that can provide support

Lifeline – The Cambridgeshire Mental Health Helpline (A Lifecraft Service) Telephone: 0808 808 2121 (FREEPHONE) 2.00pm–11.00pm, 365 days a year (Answerphone at all other times). Email: lifeline@lifecraft.org.uk

Their trained volunteers are available to support people experiencing emotional distress to provide:

  • Someone to talk to
  • Emotional support
  • Guidance through a crisis
  • Liaison with other agencies
  • Information on local and national resources, treatment, patients’ rights, self-help groups etc
  • Someone who cares, someone who listens.


Samaritans – Phone: 116123 – email: jo@samaritans.org – ‘24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Support and advice for those struggling to cope. This number is FREE to call. You don't have to be suicidal to call us.’ (www.samaritans.org)


MIND – 0300 123 3393 – ‘lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday (except for bank holidays). Our team provides information on a range of topics including:

  • Types of mental health problem
  • Where to get help
  • Medication and alternative treatments
  • Advocacy.

We will look for details of help and support in your own area.’



SANEline. If you're experiencing a mental health problem or supporting someone else, you can call SANEline on 0300 304 7000 (4.30pm–10.30pm every day).


Papyrus HOPELINEUK. If you're under 35 and struggling with suicidal feelings, or concerned about a young person who might be struggling, you can call Papyrus HOPELINEUK on 0800 068 4141 (weekdays 10am-10pm, weekends 2pm-10pm and bank holidays 2pm–10pm), email pat@papyrus-uk.org or text 07786 209 697.


Nightline. If you're a student, you can look on the Nightline website to see if your university or college offers a night-time listening service. Nightline phone operators are all students too.

Pastoral Support

Below are some resources for serious pastoral issues. These have been recommended by those who have used their services within C3.

Jaco Beukes - jaco@lovingbygiving.com  07988 276832 - Marriage/ alcohol issues/ drugs. No charge but donation to his charity. Pastoral support rather than counselling. Christian. Cambridge based.

Sarah and David Abell  www.nakedhedgehogs.com  Marriage counsellors. Individual coaching. Christian.  They lead bootcamps and coaching services for couples.

George Stahnke  www.renewalcs.org   USA based. Biblical. Marriage, particularly around infidelity.

Cogwheel. https://www.cogwheel.org.uk/ Faith based in its foundations. CBT and various counselling available. Means tested for fees.

Food support

There are many places where you will be able to find help. Please take a look at the list below to see which might apply to you. Most places have websites where you can find out more information:

  • You are welcome to come to The C3 Centre in Cambridge for ‘Food Truck Fridays’. Each Friday lunchtime from noon we have a pay-what-you-can meal available. If you have no money, we’ll give you the food for free! No need to book just come along.
  • The C3 Church also operates a Community Fridge where you can help yourself to surplus food that has been donated. We never quite know what it will be, but if you need it, you can have it, for free! We put out any surplus food during the daytime as we get it, Monday to Friday, outside The C3 Centre, CB1 3HR.
  • There are many other Community Fridges both in Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds. The best info for anyone Cambridge-based can be found at cambridgesustainablefood.org
  • Across both Cambridgeshire and Suffolk there are a number of Food Banks We advise finding one that is close to you and then getting in contact with them. Most will require you to apply for a voucher to access the food help. Details of how to do this will be given to you when you get in contact with them. For Cambridgeshire and Suffolk go to www.trusseltrust.org.  For Bury St Edmunds go to www.gatehouse.org.uk
  • Citizen’s Advice Bureau can also help.